Thursday, May 29, 2008

That's My Generation

We were sitting in Big Nick's Pizza Joint last night where the TV is always showing Charlie Chaplin or the Three Stooges and the music is always some doo-woppy mix from the early 60's. (As is the grime, er, I mean, character.) So I was trying to think of how this music might sound from Ellie's perspective. She certainly didn't seem very interested. (But then again, she had Pizza on her mind.)

Let's see....the early 60's are roughly 45 years before she was born.

45 years before I was born was the mid 1920's.....

And it hit me: the Beach Boys are to Ellie as Puccini is to me. That's right, Puccini's last opera, Turandot, was written in 1926. (OK, if you don't like the classical music cross-over, how about Basin Street Blues?)

Of course by now you could replace the Beach Boys with the Beatles.

Wonder what the 'boomers think of that!